-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Ivan. My 2002 Dodge Caravan suddenly died as well giving no

Customer Question

Hi Ivan. My 2002 Dodge Caravan suddenly died as well giving no spark. Did you solve this one in the end?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

When it stalls and you have no spark, have you tested the coil to see if it's receiving the coil driver pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brad and thanx for coming in on this. We have a feed to the coil but don't know how to test for a pulse to the coil? Is the "LED" in the injector cable test? My mech says when he puts the code reader on and cranks the engine that the reader shows 280rpm he says implying the crank and cam sensors are ok. Would you agree?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
the crank sensor should be ok since it's showing RPM's.. Now you will need to connect the test light to positive and probe the cool wires to see if you get a flash on the light when cranking. If good replace the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool wires? Sorry Brad not getting that.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Coil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Brad. Sorry for the slow reply. This was always going to be the case here as I am away from the car on holiday and my mech is a german guy in Spain trying to fix. Ok in the meantime he googled the problem and saw it was common for the wires to melt. He found the main loom to the engine had melted and so managed to separate the messed up wires and cover each one with heat shrink for insulation. This has made no difference. He says he is not getting a feed to the coils and we don't know why.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If the PCM isn't sending a ground pulse to the coil then ohm the wires to the PCM to verify he has the wires fixed and if good then replace the PCM because when they shorted it damaged the PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Brad, yes I will try this and come back to you. I am sorry again that this one is likely to drag out as it may take a week or two to come back to you with further information. Is there any way I can upload a photograph to you on this system? I have never used this just answer before. Kind regards ***** *****
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes just click the paperclip icon at attach pictures..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad here's a picture of the wires we found melted. The red is the sleeving my mech placed over them
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes thats the harness that melts.. Ohm the wires to the PCM and if good then replace PCM..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Brad, will try to do that but like I say it won't be imminent. Out of interest what is it that takes these cables down? An overload? I was expecting them to be near a heat source but that doesn't appear to be the case. Also do you have a wiring diagram for these vehicles at all please? I read somewhere that there MAY be a link to the O2 sensor. I have been carrying an EML on this car all the three years I have owned it and my code reader says it's an O2 sensor. Somewhere on the internet I read that this can cause this wire melt. Is that so? We never replaced the sensor BUT we did replace the gas cap with a non-oem unit which didn't help.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The heat melts them... I attached a wiring diagram.. You will need to ohm each one to the PCM and if the wiring ohms around .001 then the PCM was shorted when the wires were touching and the PCM will need to be replaced..