sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I start Moms 96 caravan hot or cold. It won't idle the first

Customer Question

I start Moms 96 caravan hot or cold. It won't idle the first 2 or 3 I try to start it. I can push on gas but does help. Sounds like large air draw. By the time it try to start 3 or forth time it starts and idles fine. A/C make idle rise after started.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm wondering if the problem is actually fuel pressure bleedoff. I believe you intended your post to say 'I can push the gas but it does not help', if that's the case then it isn't an IAC related issue.
If fuel pressure is bleeding off due to leaking injectors or back through the pump then it will cause the engien to start hard and run poorly at first.
Has it been checked for fuel pressure bleedoff with the engine cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try to explain a little better.
A/C is unrelated issue. I was trying to say that idle increases properly when A/C is turned on.When I start the van in a cold or warmed-up state, it will not idle the first 2-3 times. I just turn the key until it starts and then it stalls. If I were to push on the gas pedal it will not stay running. The 3rd-4th time I start it, the van will idle and the RPMS will rise when the gas is depressed. Once started the van drives normally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it has not. I was wondering about the possibility of the IAC being dirty and restricted.
The IAC is not causing the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check for fuel pressure bleedoff with the engine cold?
A fuel pressure gauge will need to be connected to the test port on the fuel rail, the key cycled to pressurize the rail and gauge, and watch the gauge to see if pressure drops.