Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan, and needs the AC calibrated.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan, and needs the AC calibrated. HOWEVER its DOESN'T have the LEDS or Digital display, so can not re-calibrate with the common AC calibration test, ie, use top & bottom buttons, etc.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! The calibration test is activated by depressing the A/C and Power buttons simultaneously and holding them depressed for no less than five seconds. The PWR and A/C LEDs will blink on and off until the test is complete. I hope this helps!
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris..I already tried this..Its doesnt work..I was asking for something besides what I already was able to find by googling on the internet
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try doing a battery disconnect/reconnect and see if it will recalibrate.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that last reply , I was helping another customer with an ac problem and got it mixed up with yours.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,FYI: We are a small taxi business. We own 15 vehicles, 12 of which are Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Mini-Vans. Oldest is a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager, Newest is a 2008 Town & Country. I am NOT the mechanic, but we have owned the 1998 Plymouth since it was new off the dealership floor. I guess I am trying to let you know I am pretty familiar with the more common problems and solutions. I have pretty good experience working on electronics, I used to work on Arcade Video machines.On the 2001 Dodge Caravan with the problem:
1. AC Compressor works, blows cold in back & hot in front. Checked Freon levels (R134), its within the correct range.
2. We can hear the blend doors open and close.Attempted already:
3. We replaced the fan motor & resistor.
4. Checked all relays, even pulled and tested in other vehicles.
5. Checked all fuses.
6. Checked fuse/relay sockets & cleaned with electronic spray cleaner.
7. I pulled panel with climate controls, checked each wire & wire socket for possible dead short. None was found.** I even went back over the fuse/relays and double checked, so pretty sure this is not problem.WE do NOT have another van with this type panel, so unable to test in other unit, however the dials and resistors APPEAR to work when checked on a meter. We have attempted the re-calibration test after we tried each possible solution, always fails.
I hope I do not come across wrong, just felt perhaps I should provide a bit more information so you would perhaps have another suggestion.
Any other ideas?Thanks,Mick
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update Mick. Well after learning more about your problem i think that maybe you have a front expansion valve issue and jot a calibration problem. You say that the rear blows cold and the front blend door can be heard moving. I think that your expansion valve in the front may be acting up based on that information alone. You may want to replace it and evacuate and recharge the system at this point.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!
Thank you!
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did receive your reply, sorry just do not know if it will work yet. I had to order the expansion valve, and our mechanic doesn't work again until Monday. We did get the part so hopefully he can put it in. We have the equipment to evacuate and recharge the system, so hopefully this is gonna be fixed soon. FYI: I am not sure, but I am getting the feeling that this is sort of an odd ball van. What I mean is normally the parts and interchange system makes it easy to find parts. etc/, but more I work with this van seems like it was not as common as other dodge caravans?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well thanks for the update!

Chris