Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2010 Dodge 3500. It came up saying the exhaust

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Dodge 3500. It came up saying the exhaust filter was 80% full then it went to 100% and said to set a dealer. I am on the road and can't get in for 3 days. I read that I might be able to get it to regen on its own which should reset the filter. Is this correct or now that it has told me to take it into a dealer, has it gone past the place where I could do something? Thx
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
When you stated it was piling out soot, does that means that black smoke is coming out the tailpipe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll add more information. about 2 days ago, the engine light came on. Then on the same day, it said that the exhaust filter was at 70%. I didn't drive it again until yesterday and went to pick up some sod. On the way, it went to 80% and then to "See dealer". All the driving yesterday was low speed, stop-n-go. What I read last night lead me to believe that I could just drive it on the road over 40MPH for over 10 minutes and it would regen. It smokes so much I feared I might do something to the motor, so I asked you the question to see if I could do something on my own since I can get it in to be looked at until Wednesday and I need to be on the road Monday, at the latest Tuesday. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I hit send button early. Yes, as soon as you give it any gas, it bellows out soot out of the tail pipe. The whole body back end around the tail pipe is sooty.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for getting back with me with additional information..
From what you're stating, I HIGHLY recommend to NOT drive it until you have it looked at. From what you have explained, at this time there is nothing you can do or could have done to solve the problem. Something has failed and caused the engine to begin generating too much soot. What has ALREADY happened is the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) has cracked. That is why the black smoke out the tail pipe. The reason I know that the DPF is cracked is because there should NEVER be ANY smoke coming out the tailpipe even if the DPF is 100% full. What I suspect has happened is either an injector has failed or the EGR valve is stuck causing the engine to make too much soot. At this point, driving it on the highway will NOT make it regen as the DPF has gone beyond the point of no return. Normal regen is best done on highway at 55 to 65 and driving it AT LEAST 45 minutes to an hour. Since your check engine light is on, the dealer will be able to tell what caused the problem and will be able to repair it...
Unfortunately, since it is a 2010 it may be out of warranty. If you want to know in advance so that you can prepare yourself if the repairs will need to be paid for out of your pocket, please post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer and I can research this for you....
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
____________________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated.
Thank you and thanks for asking your question!
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BG549073 150k miles. A cost estimate would be valuable, Thx I've not driven it since it started putting out soot. Dealership is 5 miles away, do you think I need to tow it?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to drive it if the dealer is only 5 miles away, just note that if it happens to run bad or start making any abnormal noises, shut it down immediately and have it towed....
Give me a few to get you an estimate together...
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Here is an estimate of the minimum repairs that will likely need to be performed. Since smoke is present, DPF needs to be replaced regardless and the 67.5 k maintenance needs to be done to clean the soot out of the EGR system. You may likely need to replace another part depending on the outcome of the initial diagnosis....
Attachment: --Click here to view.--
Let me know if you are not able to view the above document....
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...