Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I purchased an 06 durango. It didn't have an fob. I

Customer Question

I purchased an 06 durango. It didn't have an fob. I purchased one on ebay but so far haven't had any luck. Any suggestions. The dealer wants to much money. I have tried a couple of ways suggested on the internet but no luck
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.

Afternoon......the "FOB" has to be programmed to work with the vehicle. To program it you need a secret 4 digit pin code assigned to you specific vehicle. The dealer has access to that pin number. I have heard that if you have 2 working keys.....that you can then program a 3rd yourself. However if you don't then the only thing that will work is to have it programmed using the scanner. This is all keeping in mind that the fob that you bought is correct for the vehicle and working properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not the answer I was looking for. I believe there is a way to program the keys. Just have to find someone who knows.

I am master certified tech at a Dodge dealership and having been working on these vehicles since they were new. The 4 digit code prevents just anyone from buying a key and stealing your vehicle. yes you can program it yourself.....if you have 2 working keys already. Otherwise to prevent theft.....you need to have it programmed using the scanner. I also have found that the keys that people bring to the dealership sometimes don't work because they are not correct for the vehicle. I am just giving you the info on how the system works and am sorry if thats not the answer your wanting to hear, none the less its the correct info. I know the system on that Durango very well and wouldn't give you incorrect info. That explains why the locksmith couldn't be of much help either

Here is even more info directly from a website that sales the fobs as well:

http://blog.keylessentryremotefob.com/2014/02/2006-dodge-durango-key-fob-remote.html .

They too mention that you need 2 working keys to program it yourself.