sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My hubby has a 2002 3500 dodge diesel cummins. He has a

Customer Question

My hubby has a 2002 3500 dodge diesel cummins. He has a 'hopping' in the ass end. We just replaced a transmission mount that definitely helped. He went completely over the rear drive shaft and all ujoints are good. When I'm driving it at a coast, it hops forward and in reverse. When I brake hard it really hops. What the heck is it????
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds like you have a couple things going on. If you're getting a shake that happens when pressing the brake pedal then most likely you have warped brake rotors.
It's hard to say exactly what you're feeling without seeing the vehicle in person. If it appears to be coming from the rear then it has to be a suspension, tire or axle issue if the driveshaft has been ruled out.
Does the problem happen over bumps or will it happen on smooth pavement?
Does it only happen on deceleration?
Does it have a throttle sensitive vibration?
Does vehicle speed or putting the trans in neutral have an effect on it?