Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 2006 sebring steering is loose on the ghway. Any idea

Customer Question

My 2006 sebring steering is loose on the highway. Any idea what it could be? I am used to it, since I drive it every day. My son drove it and said there is a problem. I got a coupon for an all points inspection from the dealer service. I paid for an oil
change and got the free inspection. They said they did not look at the steering.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Loose steering at highway speeds may be from either an outer or inner tie rod just starting to fail, or play in the rack and pinion steering gear.
If you want to diagnose yourself, I can tell you how. If not, have a shop that specializes in tires/steering/alignments such as Goodyear or Firestone inspect the steering components.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to diagnose myself?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you will need a helper.
Raise front end off the ground. At left and then the right side, you will crawl underneath and put your hand on the outer tie rod where it connects to the steering knuckle while your helped shakes the wheel back and forth from side to side. If you feel play, replace the outer tie rod that you feel the play at.
If ok, repeat by putting your hand on the inner tie rod where the outer tie rod screws to it. Again, if play is felt on one, replace that inner tie rod.
If ok, then it is in the steering gear in the rack and pinion and will need to replace it.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks