Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge Charger: , I have a 2008 Dodge Charger V6. My ETC light

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2008 Dodge Charger V6. My ETC light came on and I don't know why. Could you help me understand that situation.as I was proceeding down the road he ETC started blinking and wasnot getting any gas along with the speed drop down to about 15 to 20 mph. So I pull over on the side of the road nd cut the car off. It stayed off for 1 to 2 minute' then it crank right up with the ETC off.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** to JustAnswer!. The ETC system stands for Electronic Throttle Control, a "drive-by-wire" method of engine management that changes the physical act of opening a mechanical throttle body with the accelerator pedal to an electronic torque request. When you step down on your Charger's gas pedal , what you're really doing is sending a power request to the engine controller (PCM), asking it to provide an amount of power equal to the amount of pedal pressure. Being all-electronic now, there had to be checks and balances installed by the PCM to ensure that the ETC system is following instructions exactly and that power output from the engine matches what is expected. If anything varies from this definition -- that the engine produces a different amount of power or that sensors do not agree -- the ETC system becomes limited and the warning lamp is illuminated for the entire drive cycle. Turning the key off, then restarting the engine will return things to normal if the problem isn't severe or active at the moment (as you saw). So, for instance, if a group of sensors indicate all systems are normal, but one sensor has a different opinion, it's much like a NASA launch scrub. Or if the engine produces a small amount more torque or RPM than expected... same thing. The ETC system polices itself and limits engine power to prevent the possibility of a runaway vehicle. Possible causes for an ETC event are many, but the most common one I can think of involves a vacuum leak that can be produced when common service work is done under the hood. Anything that involves removal of the intake manifold will also include this tricky seal that fits onto the EGR transfer tube, which ends at the upper intake plenum. A small vacuum leak in this area admits more air into the engine than the PCM expects, triggering an ETC event. If you've recently had your spark plugs changed, a coil replaced or valve cover gasket replaced on the passenger side of the engine, this would be the place I'd look first. A companion code may be set in the PCM which will tell us more about the event. If you could have the engine scanned to retrieve codes, I might be able to narrow the possibilities down a bit. Many auto parts stores, such as Autozone, CarQuest and maybe NAPA will come out to your car to perform a simple code scan at no charge. Be sure to copy the code down as displayed, usually in "P-code" format (letter P followed by four digits). Let me know if you have any questions or additional information and I'll be glad to help. Thanks,Ed