sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1999 Dakota 5.2 automatic: , I have a 1999 Dakota 5.2

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1999 Dakota 5.2 which appears to be in limp-mode. 2nd gear all the time even in reverse it is bad. I just replaced governor and 2nd local selonoid and replaced fluid to no avail. Any suggestions or advice?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck is automatic and*****
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it's in limp in then it's taking off in third. When the powertrain control module sees an issue it thinks can cause damage or it doesn't have complete control then it will turn off the relay that supplies power to the trans and locks you in third gear. Possible causes for limp in are the governor, converter clutch and overdrive solenoids, wiring, the output speed sensor, trans relay, and PCM.
Limp in won't affect reverse though so it's possible that you have a mechanical issue in the trans.
The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. If it's actually in limp in then there will be codes set. Do you know if any codes are setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no check engine light on though i have yet to check for codes.
If the engine light isn't on then it most likely isn't in limp in, but let's start with checking for codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thanks
You're welcome!