Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2010 Ram 3500 6.7 cummins when you pushed the brake

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Ram 3500 6.7 cummins when you pushed the brake pedal it had brakes but the pedal would eventually go to the floor it has no leaks any where that I seen I put a new master cylinder on and bled the brakes now I have no brakes I don't know if
there is a special way to bleed the brakes or if I got a bad master cylinder from advanced
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
What procedure did you use to bleed the master cylinder and brakes? Did you have a helper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bled the master cylinder with two fittings that come with the new one and hoses that I had sitting in the fluid. I had my helper push the brakes until the bubbles stopped. I then hooked up both lines and bled it at each wheel starting with the right rear, left rear, right front and then left front. I used a hose from the bleeder into a class jar that was under some fluid. I opened the bleeder had my helper push the brakes and hold down and I closed the bleeder. I repeated this process many many times on each wheel and was getting no bubbles after the second or third time on each wheel. The brakes feel good with the truck not running but when it is running they go straight to the floor.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
I think that there is still air in the system. Sometimes, on a longer vehicle such as a Ram 3500 it takes many times of pumping, Holding cracking the bleeder, then releasing the pedal. It is very important to NOT release the pedal until the bleeder is tight again. Also when the bleeder is open make sure the helper is pressing the brake pedal ALL the way to the floor.
Try this several more times at each wheel and post back the results...Sometimes it is not uncommon to use a quart or more of fluid to completely bleed out the brake system...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .
Thank you!
Robert