Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge ram 1500 5.9: My dodge keeps cutting off, or not starting.

Customer Question

My dodge keeps cutting off, or not starting. Going down the road it will just die, sometime it will start right back up sometime it won't. And it can set over night and u turn the key on and if dash hands move it will crank but if hands (fuel, batt, temp,) don't move it won't crank. When the hands won't move and it won't crank it's not getting fire or fuel when the hands don't move, But a hour later u turn the key hands move and u can drive it down the road, doesn't run bad or miss when it running or driving just cuts off,,, and advice
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** to JustAnswer!. I don't think there's much doubt that your PCM (engine controller) is going down when your problem rears its head -- it's the cause of its apparent demise that's in question. There's something I'd like you to check and it might take a few tries to get results. Locate the PCM, which will be the 3-connector metal box screwed to the passenger side firewall. If the truck will start, go ahead and get it running, then lightly wiggle each of the connectors while monitoring engine reaction. If the truck won't start, leave the key on and do the same thing while listening for relays to click, should it suddenly wake up. These engine controllers have become more susceptible to circuit board breaks with age, causing problems of this sort. Adding to the misery is that they also seem sensitive to temperature, usually failing more often once underhood temps have risen. You may have no success with the wiggle test in one state of heating, but get results in another. Try this first and let me know if we need to keep looking. By no means is this the only possibility for your stalling problem, but it's an easy diagnosis and fix if the wiggle test turns something up. Good luck!Ed