Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2007 Chrysler Aspen that stalls when you come to a

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Chrysler Aspen that stalls when you come to a stop and it seems to also shift down to low gear randomly and on its own. Is this a TIPM issue ? If so where is it located and how can I identify the issue ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!. Your problem descriptions don't fit anything I'd normally associate with the TIPM, which is an acronym for Totally integrated Power Module -- your fuse box. It has more duties that just being a fuse holder, but really not much to do with driveability issues of this sort. I'm actually thinking this could be pretty simple. Check your transmission fluid level. The RFE-series transmissions in use on the SUV line is sensitive to low fluid level because it may result in stalling at stops when the torque converter isn't able to unlock. Torque converter lock is accomplished on these transmissions by default, the act of releasing pressure in the lockup circuit, rather than applying it. This was done to promote fuel efficiency, since it would take much more energy to hold a lockup clutch with pressure on a long highway drive than to simply release the lockup to do its job... and then relax. With that in mind, anything that causes loss of transmission hydraulic pressure could delay or prevent the lockup function from being released as you roll to a stop, after driving with the lockup active. Low fluid level may cause cavitation as the transmission pump sucks air at the pan, which will reduce hydraulic efficiency and delay the lockup's release. It may also be the reason why you occasionally get stuck in low gear (or just the wrong gear for the moment). To check your fluid, park the vehicle on level ground and start the engine. You'll find the transmission dipstick to be located near the rear of the engine compartment, jutting up over the engine on the passenger side. There may be two sets of fill markings, cold and hot. I'd consider the fluid to be cold if below 100 degrees and hot if it's been driven more than a few miles within the last half hour. Clean the stick well and take several measurements if needed. I'm somewhat expecting that your fluid level will not register on the stick if it's low enough to be causing these problems. If so, you'll need to add up to four quarts, but do it one quart at a time until you begin registering something. Then cut it back to smaller additions to avoid overfilling. Fluid will cling to the fill tube for what seems an eternity, fouling the dipstick and making it difficult to tell just where the actual level is. Be patient and let the tube drain, sometime taking as much as 3-5 minutes between additions. It's maddening when you're in a hurry. If you wind up going a bit higher on the fill than you wanted, it's probably OK -- RFEs like to be a little overfilled. Check it out and let me know what you find. Good luck!Ed