Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Durango: I bought a 2003 Durango with spongy brakes, thought

Customer Question

I bought a 2003 Durango with spongy brakes, thought it could be fixed, dodge cant help whats wrong.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.There are a few things that can give you a spongy brake pedal...-Air in the brake system.-Bad brake caliper.-Bad rubber brake hose.-Poor brake pads installation. First thing you need to do is bleeding the brakes until you get rid of any air in the brake system.Inspect the brake pads ,make sure they are installed correct and not jammed where the caliper piston makes contact with the pads.Also make sure the caliper sliding pins are free and well lubed.Take vise grips or line locks and pinch the brake hoses for the rear calipers and then start the vehicle and try the pedal to see if it is firm.If not , do the same thing in the front ,pinch both hoses and try the pedal...if it gets firm , release one of the hoses and try again to see which one is the faulty... inspect the brake caliper and the hose, replace it. Good luck.let me know.Thank you very much.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there...have you work on your vehicle yet?
Did you find anything or need any other help ?
Let me know.
Thank you.