Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Ram1500 5.9l: I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with an unusual

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with an unusual motor stalling problem. Stalls suddenly while going down the road. Mechanics can find no codes. Everyone stumped. It will still crank, and the gauges seem dead too. Then suddenly it will restart after sitting awhile.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gauges will also spring back to life when key is turned to the on position indicating it is going to start. Gauges alive, it starts; gauges not responding, cranks only doesn't start. Runs good when running. 5.9 litre Magnum.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
When it stalls are you loosing spark or fuel psi? Have you ever replace the crankshaft sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the easy way to tell if I have spark ? I haven't changed the crankshaft sensor. But it would be worth a try.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
The crankshaft sensor is a known failed part that will cause you to stall with no spark. The easiest way to check for spark is with a inline spark tester found at your local parts store..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brad, I'll give the crank sensor a whirl. But does it also make sense that the gauges would temporarily stop functioning? -Stanton-
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
If the crankshaft sensor failed and locked up it would short the PCM out which could cause a loss of communication