Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

The compressor on my 2006 ram 3500 has stopped engaging.

Customer Question

Hello the compressor on my 2006 ram 3500 has stopped engaging. I hooked up a gauge set and the high pressure side is around 180psi and the low pressure side is about 350psi
The coil on the clutch reads 228 k ohms
And I have 11 volts at the plug with the car off
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer. The AC pressures are good as long as your low side is reading 35 psi and not 350 psi.The voltage ,11 volts with he vehicle off is just a diagnostic low current voltage to check the circuit for opens and shorts , just having that voltage there ,it means the circuit is good .Just in case ,check also for ground at the coil but most likely you will need a new compressor...unless you can find an aftermarket coil for this compressor. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The low side is truly 350psi when I first hooked into it so I'm unsure it clogged and the pressure switch won't let the compressor turn on or if it just the compressor that's bad
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Well as the first step I would recover the Freon and then replace the orifice tube ,this filter controls the pressure between high and low sides.
Vacuum the system for 45 minutes and then charge it .
Good luck.
Let me know.
Thank you.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there....did you look at your vehicle yet ?
On your gage , does the low side gage jumps from 120 to 350 psi on it's numbers ?
There is something here that does not make sense, I believe that your problem here is the compressor not coming ON ,you are missing power(14 volts) or ground to the coil.
When the compressor is off , the pressure should be the same.
As the first step you need to get the compressor to run and then see if the pressures change , if they don't ...then you have a bad compressor.
Let me know.
Thank you.