-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

A/c lite is on, scanner verifies this. but will not turn on

Customer Question

a/c lite is on, scanner verifies this. but will not turn on comp. will for about 1 second the shut off. no sure where to go.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Whatc codes are in the TIPM? If you have a P1274 then you will need to replace the compressor..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no codes. no hvac or engine.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
You will need a scantool to retrieve the codes from the TIPM and not a code reader..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have a snap on modus, not a dodge scanner. what about the evaporator sensor. any way to tell if it is working?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Will your modus communicate with the TIPM? If so what are the codes in it? The TIPM is the fuse box under the hood which controls the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I can view all data. I can command the a/c on. it say that the a\c button is push on and lit. the compressor go on in the data stream for about 2 seconds then off. but the command is still on. pressure reads about 90. jumps to 110 while it is on for the 2 seconds. if jumpered the comp. runs fine and is cold. some thing is making it command off. just cant pick it up on scanner. also no code, past of pending.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
In the TIPM what does it say for a/c status?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says, a/c switch is off will say on if you hold button down. a/c clutch request is, true. ac indicator is , on. the ebl is false and the ebl switch is off. I don't know what these are. still no codes. the button hold down even thou is says on don't make the comp. run.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
I attached a wiring diagram showing the TIPM(Fusebox) controls the compressor.. If it's not staying on then there is codes in the TIPM which is the Totally Intergrated Power Module.. Are you 100% sure your scantool is communicating with the TIPM? Don't worry about what the PCM or ECM says we need to see what data is in the TIPM...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure, will do some more reach. then get back with you.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
OK if you find there is a P1274 in the TIPM then you will need to replace the compressor for a bad clutch drawing too much amperage.. It's a common issue we see here at the dealership..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your are right I was not getting the tipm data. but I got in so the codes are p1274,p0533, p1275. so will you need to change the tipm also?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Aahhhh I knew it!!!
All you need to donors replace the compressor, erase codes and you should be in good shape.
Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating..
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thank you for the help. we will get it fixed. bill
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Glad I could help,
Brad
Don't forget to rate my service so I'm compensated for my time.:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so brad . I tested the clutch amp draw about 5 amp. that must be to much for the tipm. so I wire in a relay that only draws .5 amps. tricking the timp to see lower amp draw. been running 2 hours still at 5 amp draw and cold a/c. I see where hundreds of people had to replace comp. with low mileage on them. in 2003 the trucks used a relay and most I work on have 300k plus miles and no a/c problem. maybe the timp is too sensitive. I will run this one for a month and let you know. but thanks for the good information.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Working at a dealership we don't bypass, we replace it.. Glad I could help and again thank you for the positive rating.Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is nice to be independent, some times we save the customer money, sometimes it comes back to bit us. but we all working on car.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Thats right.. Glad I could help.