Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

04 dodge diesel, just replaced lift pump and my truck still

Customer Question

04 dodge diesel, just replaced lift pump and my truck still will not run. I can get it started for about 3 minutes by filling the fuel filter but then it dies. is there some kind of trick to getting a flow to the filter after replacing lp? and should you be able to hear the lift pump running?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Do you have the engine mounted lift pump on the in tank setup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in the tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm OK with texts
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
No problem.Can you get to the wires going to the lift pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If drop the tank again
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
Whats happening is the pump is not working or the line is clogged going from the pump to the fuel filter bowl.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it's a brand new pump I just installed. Should you be able to hear the pump??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cause I can't hear anything from the tank
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
A real quick way to test it is to open the fuel filter. Turn the key to start but dont let it start and let the key rest in the run position. Fuel should overflow out of the bowl for 25 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the key on and filter lid off and nothing came into the bowl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even tried to pressurize the tank and still nothing
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
Pressurizing the tank wont work because the return line equalizes the pressure. The pump is not working. Drop the tank and test for power between the dark blue with yellow wire and the black wire. If you have no power follow the wire and make sure its not broken all the way up to the computer. If the wire is okay, the computer went bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try that thanks and I will keep you posted
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Another trick is to jump the dark blue with yellow to the battery + and the pump should run and the engine run as well...