Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge ram 1500 SLT with a 4.7: I have a 2002 ram 1500 with

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ram 1500 with a 4.7 new OEM cam and crank position sensors that keeps giving me a 1391 code...we have checked the timing...the gears the tone ring and all are fine...no obvious weakness of the key ways all are tight...runs great when we disconnect the cam sensor but won't start...starts with the Cam Position sensor connected but misses when accelerating thru 25000 to 33000...almost like a throttle position sensor is not working we have checked the harness and get good pulse thru all three wires on both cam and crank position sensors... bent the wires while it is running...to see if there are breaks... checked the ground but still want to ad a supplimental ground...the temperature of the engine is only running at 170 degrees...I have wondered if this keeps the computer from handling the input from the c and c position sensors... the fly wheel seems like it is NOT bent...and the tone ring is tight and is of the lesser tooth variety not the 32 tooth version...
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iy do not trust my Dodge dealer since the told me a used intrepid computer could not be programmed and insisted I needed to buy a new one...charged me a diagnostic charge and refused to program my computer...I took it to a gentleman in SLC who programmed it in about 20 minutes... and it ran perfectly... Is it necessary to SINC the cam and crank position sensors in some fashion?... is the problem a programming problem or a computer glitch?... we believe we have eliminated all other possible causes of this intermittent loss of either crank or cam signal that WE know of leading up to the Computer......are we overlooking something?.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?...knock knock...is anyone in?... I would rather type than talk...Its been an HOUR without any acknowledgement of even having received the question... I may have to resort to another avenue to resolve this problem...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi,m my name is***** can set up a phone call if you like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid for a written response...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I used my credit card on this site..I received a call supposedly from my bank's fraud prevention service..when I phoned back I was told that i had to give them a lot of personal information so they could verify a recent transaction. I recognized the foreign accent so I asked where the fraud center was..I was told the Philippines...when I checked with my bank they told me they did NOT have any fraud prevention centers in the Philippines ...WHAT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting...may have it solved by the time you get back to me... that you charged my card by offering me another service is not what I had in mind...
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
For any issues about billing and payment, please contact Customer Support at *****@******.*** . They will take care of any issue you have with billing, payment, your subscription, etc. - As JustAnswer Experts, we only provide advice on technical matters in our field(s) of specialization.
If you still need help with this, please post a reply and I'll do my best to help you out.
I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Thank you...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert, I have been working on this for a week now... we have changed the wiring, checked the timing and all the tensioners, looked at the Tone/reluctor WHEEL on the cam and I have now concluded that I need to buy a new one from the DEALER due to the fact that some after market wheels are off a few degrees...that may be the case with this one...not sure. ... The one I have is in sinc but still gives me an intermittent signal and may have been bent at some point in it's life even tho it is not visable..there are some scratches on it..... ...have tried three cam position sensors, have seen the curve on a scanner and the crank sensor is working fine...it is the cam sensor curve that becomes erratic when you look at it on the scanner.. only upon start up however... after the code sets (after five seconds) we discover that it evens out and the curve becomes regular. We have checked the wires...the grounds...the power...the impluse wire... all give constant readings once running... we have replaced the other sensors on the grounding circuit to make sure there is no loose current feed back thru the ground wires into the computer...we have tried a second computer but as you know they are vin specific so I have not yet programmed it which makes no difference other than the ABS light remaining on... I am running out of options if this tone wheel cam sprocket change out is not effective in eliminating the code...ANY OTHER IDEAS?... your assistance would be appreciated...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also if we disconnect the cam sensor it runs fine in limp mode... but if we reconnect the cam sensor it will eventually miss at about 25000 rpms and eventually become erratic in how it runs...seems like it misses but never gives us any misfire codes...not sure why...
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
If the cam sensor tone wheel is scratched it can definitely cause problems, even a scratch that seems to not affect anything can cause problems...
I think you are on the right track in considering replacement . Make absolutely sure the replacement part is out of a vehicle that has the same style of PCM (3 connectors vs 4 connectors on the PCM).
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert