sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Dakota: I am working on a 1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6.

Customer Question

I am working on a 1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6. Gauge cluster went dead all idiot lights came on Replaced cluster no help, all fuses are good
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the warning lights are all on and gauges aren't working then the communication bus is down. All modules communicate over a two wire network, if the cluster isn't' able to communicate with other modules then it will cause what you're having.
The problem could be quite a few things and it will most likely take some electrical testing to see what is going on. The problem could be an internal failure in any module or wiring issue anywhere on either of the two bus circuits.
One thing you can do is try pulling fuses one at a time and see if the problem goes away. The bus could be shorted to voltage because of an internal failure in a module, if pulling a fuse brings back communication then you can concentrate on components on that circuit.
Otherwise modules are going to be disconnected one at a time to see when communication returns.