vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

Dodge Ram: I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9. A couple weeks

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9. A couple weeks back the radio shut off and won't come back on. At the same time I lost the dome lights, door locks and door chime when the key is off. Yesterday The check engine light came on but when I went to check it there is no power to the OBD switch to retrieve the fault codes.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you have a testlight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
go to the under hood fuse box, locate fuse holder #51. it is a special fuse, , need you to remove that fuse from the holder, turn key ON, probe the contacts that fuse goes into, how many have power, I included a diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the key on, 1 of the 2 contacts has power. For what its worth the contact with power is the on furthest from the engine.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
any way to test that fuse? I forget if it has tabs on top you can test on with fuse inserted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are tabs on top of the fuse. When the fuse is inserted there is power to both contacts
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
then I am unsure, everything you are missing is powered off this IOD fuse, Power to and trough and those items do not work? I am unsure, I have a guess but cant be 100%. I will opt out and open the post to the other experts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you Randall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think there is relation here between this issue and the OBD plug not getting power?
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, at this point I will try to help you with your problem. The OBD plug does share circuits with the other items you mentioned. Attached is a wiring diagram showing the fuse #12 for the radio. The same fuse powers the OBD plug (datalink connector). The fuse is inside the vehicle at the fuse box. Please check this fuse and let me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuse box is under the hood and fuse #12 is labeled 'spare' and there is no fuse there. Would this fuse be somewhere else? Is it an inline fuse behind the dash?
There are 2 fuses boxes on this truck. One under the hood and one inside on the left side of the dash. Attached is the fuse layout for the one inside. You need to check the fuse box inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can only find the one box. I've attached pictures of the left side of the dash and the diagram of the fuses under the hood. Is one of those the one we're looking for?
evening, 2002 was a model year change so there is no mixed info on the Chrysler website so please excuse. Let me jump up a year and get you the info we need to check further. Thanks for the pics as well. Appears the other expert recommended checking fuse #51 under the hood and my wiring info states the same. Fuse #51 powers the radio as well as the datalink connector
please varify that fuse #51 is being checked and not confused with another fuse. It being a IOD fuse. The fuse will be in a plastic holder and not appear liek the others. The holder may be yellow or white in color. The fuse is inside the holder and the upper portion needs to be opened up inorder to access it or the metal contact points used for testing. Also make sure the holder is pressed down firmly.
If need be, take another pic of the fuse box with you pointing to the fuse #51 so that we are on the same page. Thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
#51 does have power to both test tabs on the fuse when it's plugged in. Also the contact point furthest from the engine has power when the fuse is not in.
thanks for the pics. So if the fuse had power going in and coming out but not at the locations such as radio and data link connector, we surely have a wiring issue somewhere inbetween. The wire we will be focusing on is a Pink colored wire. We need to start with unbolting the fuse box under the hood so that we can access the bottom side to start checking the wiring coming out. Attached is a picture of the underside that tells each connectors number. The connector we will be looking at is the C1 connector. Also attached is a picture of the connector. The Pink wire is located at pin #9. Look in this location to see if the Pink wire is there. You need to check the wire at that location to see if 12 volts is present. Let me know what you find .
Here is the connector
Evening, checking back to see if any updates on the issue so that I can help you further.