sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dakota: 98 dodge dakota 3.9 L 4wd. Truck turns over will not

Customer Question

98 dodge dakota 3.9 L 4wd. Truck turns over will not start. Asd relay clicks continually when ignition is on. I just changed the computer as it was hestitating and bacfiring after 5 minutes of driving and then runs fine. Now will not start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the ASD relay is continually clicking when the key is turned on then the problem is PCM related. It's attempting to wake up but isn't fully coming alive. The problem could be a poor power or ground to it, a short to ground on a 5v reference circuit, a short to voltage on a sensor ground circuit, or an internal PCM issue. The shorts could be internal in a sensor or a wiring issue.
If the problem happened as a result of replacing the PCM then I would first suspect a failure in the replacement. Do you have the old PCM to see if it will run with that one?