Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
9795573

Dodge: Why does my 1992 Doge Ram 3500 4x4 truck intermediately

Customer Question

Why does my 1992 Doge Ram 3500 4x4 truck intermediately stall for 2-3 min then run well for months. Then stalls again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keepin mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free toadd any additional info at any time. What engine do you have in it. Does it sputter and die like running out of fuel, or does it die instantly like you tuned the ignition off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it just shuts off instantly always runs good truck is well maintaind
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
What engine do you have in it.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Also does it sputter and die like running out of fuel, or does it die instantly like you tuned the ignition off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it just dies like you shut it off no sputtering it just shuts down then starts up 3 minutes later then runs fine also it has a 360 5 speed
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Is that the 360 gas or diesel engine. Does it only do it when the engine is warmed up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
warm
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
That helps a lot, do you have any way to check the fuel pressure, and spark when it dies. You have to do this to narrow down where the problem is coming from. It can be tough sometimes. What you are probably looking at is an electrical parts failure, or a bad electrical connection. The three most suspect parts are the fuel pump, the ignition coil, and the computer that drives the ignition. Other things like the relays associated and the electrical connections to the engine controls can be involved. I am an electrical specialist, and I have been down this road many times. At this point it is like you are at the entry of a maze or puzzle. Testing will lead you to the problem if you have the tools and knowledge. Guessing at what is wrong can work but it is a black hole for your wallet. I would check the electrical connections under the hood, and run the engine until it dies. Then quickly check the spark, and fuel pressure before it is able to restart. That will tell you what system is failing. You might want to turn the ignition on when it is real quiet and listen for the fuel pump so you will know what it sounds like. When it dies you can turn the ignition on and see if you can hear the pump. You wont hear it unless it is quiet. It should only run for a second or two. That is a quick test that can be done without tools. If the fuel pump doesn't run when it wont start, you need to check and see if the pump is getting power. A failing pump will quit when it is still getting power. It is important to determine if a pump is quitting because it is loosing power or is it quitting when it still has power, which would indicate a failing pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pressure is good what about fuel pump rela y
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
If the pressure is good the relay is doing it's job. The relay can act up and the fuel pressure would go away. If the fuel pressure drops off it will die out slowly, spit and sputter and die. Ignition or injector failure will cause it to die instantaneously.