Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge ram 1500: My headlights and tail lights don't turn on

Customer Question

My headlights and tail lights don't turn on all the fuses are fine none of them are blown out can't figure out what's wrong
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to Just Answer!. Proper diagnosis of your headlight problem would require a full-featured scan tool, but, that said...You probably have a bad instrument cluster. Exterior lighting works a little different that you might expect on your 03 Ram. Your headlamp switch produces a multiplex (MUX) signal that's monitored by the instrument cluster. When the cluster detects a lights on signal from the headlamp switch, it then broadcasts a signal to the Integrated Power Module (IPM, or fuse block) to carry out the command. Without a scan tool, you would be unable to tell 1) what the cluster can see from the headlamp switch and 2) whether the request to turn exterior lighting on was made by the cluster and received by the IPM. But, logically, chances are pretty slim that all positions on your headlamp switch died at the same time, as are the chances that separate drivers for each headlamp (and another driver for park lamp relay actuation) all quit at the same time. Being right in the middle of this process, the cluster is probably the bro***** *****nk. What you might try is true of almost every electronic system these days -- the good ol' hard disconnect -- to see if it'll bring the lights back. Disconnect your battery, touch the terminals together for a couple of minutes, reconnect and see what happens. If successful, you won't necessarily know what fixed the problem, or whether it'll happen again, but it would definitely rule the headlamp switch out at that point. Once again, proper diagnostics include the use of a high-end scan tool to be able to see what the various systems see. Without that, we're left with high-probability guesses, but I wouldn't waste your time unless it really was high probability. Give the disconnect a try and let me know if you have any questions or problems. I'll be glad to help. Good luck!Ed