Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge ram 1500 4x4 quad cab: OK--HERE GOES. I HAVE A 2004 DODGE

Customer Question

OK--HERE GOES. I HAVE A 2004 DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB 4X4 WITH A 5.7L HEMI. THE RBWL AND ABWL WARNING LAMPS ON--SPEEDOMETER DOES NOT WORK. I HAVE REPLACED THE AB (VSS) ON TOP OF REAR 3 TIMES. REPLACED THE INPUT AND OUTPUT SPEED SENSORS IN TRANS. AND--REPLACED THE LEFT FRONT ABS SENSOR 2 TIMES. TO NO AVAIL. COULD IT BE THE PCM ? AFTER REPLACING SENSOR IN REAR.. SPEEDOMETER WORKED FOR A FEW DAYS AND QUIT AGAIN. THANK YOU.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a solus which I use effectively----keeps saying abs sensors--replaced and still--speedometer not working. I am a disabled auto mechanic with 40 years experience.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! It could be the PCM. Do you see valid wheel speed sensor data through the ABS control module using the Solus?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trans input and output sensors working properly as shown by solus. only thing I checked with solus so far. some say it could be a corroded wire by the abs control module next to battery box ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solus always says abs sensor ( vss) non- drive wheel. that's why I thought it was left front wheel sensor. on the 3rd attempt to repair. its got me baffled--- drained the rear--installed new brgs. carrier and axel..new seals.. ring gear looked good with the sensor teeth around.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Yes it could be a corroded wire, but will your Solus communicate with the ABS module? If so, will it show wheel speed sensor signal when you drive it?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure --will have to check that out. some tests with the k-25 key. Also states sometimes you have to use the generic k-2a key. will try that one tomorrow. have been working on for 2-months now--trying to figure out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when-ever I try to communicate with the abs -solus continuinally states--"no Communication". i'm thinking "bad" pcm
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think it will be the K13 or K25 key. Try that and look at wheel speed data after connecting with the ABS module. Let me know what you find tomorrow.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Well if you cannot communicate with the ABS module, then it would be a bad ABS module or no power to the ABS module, not the PCM.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chris--i'm a little slow thinking now-takes me a little to remember. had a stroke 4 years ago. now that I remember--no communication keeps coming up when trying to check abs system.. will do--thank you. bruce.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wouls "that" still make a No speedometer working problem ????
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Well Bruce it would cause a no speedometer problem. You see on your truck, the PCM and instrument cluster get the vehicle speed information from the ABS module over the PCI bus network. Not like the earlier trucks that got it from the transmission output sensor. So if the ABS module is bad or not being powered up, the speedometer will not work, and the PCM will set a vehicle speed trouble code. I hope that makes sense
Chris