Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

03 cummins runs perfectly no symptoms. shut it down and it

Customer Question

03 cummins runs perfectly no symptoms. shut it down and it wont restart. I used ether and it fires up and runs perfect. only code its throwing is PO234. I checked wastegate and it seems fine, spring feels good and gate moves freely. Now I'm on to the boost solenoid.. Any ideas? Boost fooler?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
How many miles are on your 03 Dodge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
178k yes I understand and am ready to get this figured out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No upgrades other than k&N cold air intake and filter. Truck runs like a clock and usually fires almost instantly. I haven't had any issues up to this point and I am stumped. I also changed fuel filter today, filled it with injector cleaner and ran it after for about 30 minutes.. had to start it with ether and it ran clean and strong
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
With 178k there are a few possibilities for the no start condition.
1- Loose Injector Connector tubes. If any of these are loose, fuel can bypass the injector and go straight to the tank not allowing fuel pressure to build up to at least 2000 psi to start the engine..
2- Failed Fuel Limiting Valve (pressure relief valve). IF this valve is not holding a max of 26000 psi, it can cause leakage of high pressure fuel back to the tank.
3- One or more failed fuel injectors, If any injectors are worn out and allowing too much fuel to return to the tank, it can cause a hard or no start condition..
To find out what is the actual problem, you will need to perform the fuel system flow testing procedures. This requires special tools to perform these tests but these can easily pinpoint the root cause...
If you need additional info about the testing procedures or special tools that are needed, let me know, I can gather the necessary info to get this done on your own...
As for the P0234 code, it WILL NOT cause the hard/no start issue, I would clear the code and only diagnose that code after repairing the starting issue if the code happens to come back...
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a possibility that its the fuel rail sensor?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Not likely, if the Fuel Rail Pressure sensor was faulty there would normally be a code set for the Rail Pressure sensor...
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
If interested, inquire about our "Additional Service" Live Conversation via Phone. For an additional charge, we can schedule a live discussion by phone, this may help if we can talk one on one....Let me know if interested....
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .