Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge caravan se: I am reading answer on engine fuses blowing

Customer Question

I am reading answer on engine fuses blowing intermittingly on the 99 grand caravan se. I read he was using the 2000 book to give instructions. I have a 2000 and the same thing is happening. Has this been a big problem with these vans? One mechanic said this was rare for a car to do this. My mechanic tried to fix it, but, I went on a long trip and while driving several hundred miles a day it would blow at least 2 fuses unless I babied it. It would usually blow after driving a while and especially when driving in hot weather. The fuse would blow during acceleration whether I was going 40 miles an hour or 75. I never knew when it was going to go. The instrument would show a quick spike in fuel and it would sharply rise over the number 3. If the fuse blew everything would shut down and I quickly had to get off of road. I was lucky I didn't cause an accident. I always kept fuses on hand but it made for a long trip home. I would like to give my mechanic instructions of what to look for.
thanks Linda
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.
It sounds like an ASD relay-fed circuit, but if you could describe the fuse to me, I might be able to help.
Is it located in the underhood or under-dash fuse box? The underhood box will have a description of what the fuse feeds on the under-cover road map. If you no longer have the fuse box cover, describe the location and amperage of the fuse in relation to something that would translate to me. Taking a picture of the fuse in the fuse block and uploading it with your post may be a solution.
Also, let me know which engine your Caravan has (there are 4 choices). If you're not sure, send the last 8 digits of the VIN and I'll decode it from here.
Talk in a bit,
Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for responding. The fuse is under the hood. It says engine and the vin is yb675919.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!But... unfortunately the information available to you (under the fuse cover) and service information don't correlate. I see two fuses underhood that most likely fit the symptoms, but I don't know which one to concentrate on. If you happened to be standing right in front of the van, looking at the fuse box, would it be the 3rd or 5th from the top? Top being farthest back in the fuse block...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Third
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
That fuse is the one I expected ... the Autoshutdown Relay (ASD) output circuit. While it runs to a great many places, most are low-incidence in the harness rub department because the harness more or less moves with the engine. What we're looking for is a point where the powertrain rotates against a part of the harness that's less mobile. To better understand the scope of the ASD output circuit, it would help to know all the places it goes. Ignition coil pack, injectors, alternator (field power feed), both oxygen sensors and PCM (engine controller) all use this 12v source to conduct business. The places where you have the most harness-to-powertrain movement would probably be in the oxygen sensor and PCM areas. I'd start the engine and then do a little harness manipulation in the engine compartment to see if the rub area could be found easily. If it's not near the battery/ PCM area, it would help to see what the up and downstream oxygen sensor wiring looks like. The downstream sensor harness drops in from above, traveling first through the passenger compartment and then exiting to the van's underbelly through a rough metal cutout in the floorpan, which would be a prime rub area if the rubber grommet that protects the wiring happened to be pushed out. Brake-torquing the engine in a forward gear should produce circumstances similar to what you see when driving, but your mention of a "bump" being involved may render that test ineffective. What it comes down to is attention to detail, following wiring as it travels through the engine compartment, taking note of any point where a harness actually touches metal or might touch metal when the powertrain is wound up or bounced. I'm afraid that there are no chronic short-to-ground points on this vehicle, so it'll take some time to sort out. Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe I mentioned a bump.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
You're right, Linda. I misremembered, but everything I posted still applies. Good luck with your mechanic. :) Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will print out and bring to mechanic.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Be sure to write back if s/he has any questions and I'll be available after rating.Good luck!Ed