vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

Dodge dakota ***** I have a 1999 dodge Dakota 4

Customer Question

I have a 1999 dodge Dakota***** the transmission will not shift by itself I have to take my foot off the gas petal and let the rpms come down it does not slip . would this be caused by dirty oil or filter I have the trans drained cover off filter off I was going to adjust the bands but I cant find the model of the transmission my book gives me 5 trans numbers and they do not match I was going to wing it but my other self told me to seek help first any help will be good
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found numbers just above pan flange on drivers side P or F K52119817AA 0539 1915 between the F and the K Is a 7hand stamped*****up above the letter
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.
Its very likely that the bands are out of adjustment. The trans you have depends on the engine size.....either 3.9, 5.2, or 5.9 engines. In some worse case scenarios that band gets far enough out of adjustment that the linkage falls out. You have to drop the trans pan in order to adjust the rear band while the front band is adjusted from the outside. Looking up the specs for each engine and trans combo....found that they are the same.FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENTThe front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.Raise vehicle.Loosen band adjusting screw locknut Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket.CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw , tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque. Back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns.Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque. REAR BAND ADJUSTMENTThe transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.Raise vehicle.Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torqueBack off adjusting screw 2 turns.Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
morning, I'm checking back to see what you have found and if further help is needed. thanks