Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge grand carevan: 03 grandcarevan, start runs, then stalls.

Customer Question

03 grandcarevan, start runs, then stalls. getting fire and full. whats cause.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Gooood afternoon, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!. Ooof, it starts and dies? That's a category that can go a number of directions. I'll need to bother you with some questions...
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Did your van die while driving at some point to start this issue?Or did it just fail to start and stay running one day? It would help to know if you have any codes stored and this particular model year offers a customer-read feature for pulling trouble codes without a scan tool.To get codes, roll the key from off to on (LOCK to RUN) three times within five seconds, leaving the key ON after the last key cycle.Watch the odometer as it switches to code display, showing all codes in P-code format (ex. P0123).You will see a "P-done" or simply "done" message at the end of the process whether any codes were stored or not. This tells you that YES, the process had initiated and completed. I'll stop there for now. Talk shortly!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has a p1193 cod
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
1193. Right back, that one doesn't ring a bell.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Ah... P1193 reads :Intake Air Temp Sensor Circuit High. It's easily set if you happen to unplug the sensor on the air cleaner duct between the engine and the air cleaner. It'll turn the CHECK ENGINE light on, but won't cause this sort of problem.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Does your Caravan use the grey colored ignition key? The one with an immobilizer chip in it?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
If so, do you have a spare? Give it a try and let me know if it does the trick.A red dot will be flashing in the instrument cluster when the engine stalls if it's an immobilizer problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, what is enhanced DTC, KEY IS BLACK.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Black key.... no immobilizer.I'm not sure what you're asking about enhanced DTC.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Anyway, back to the stalling problem... How long does it run each time you start it? Is it consistent in its run time before stalling?Does it seem rough or unusually low on power during the time it does run?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Can you keep it running longer by using throttle input? Pumping the gas.... holding the accelerator open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AND YES IT DIED WHILE DRIVING, THEN IT STRATED 3 MORE TIME THEN NOTHING, TOW IT HOME IT STATED. IT STARTS RIGHT NOW, RUNS FOR ABOUT 3-4 MINUETS. DTC IS WHAT SHOW UP ON MY SCANNER .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO IT RUNS NORMAL ALMOST LIKE NOTHING IS WRONG THEN IT DIES
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
3-4 minutes? That's longer than I expected somehow. So it runs OK, then quits. Does it restart immediately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE NOT TRY THAT, JUST LET IT IDLE. YES IT DID STARED RIGHT AWAY THAT SOME TIMES AND OTHER IT TOOK A LITTLE LONG.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Let's see... You said it died while driving... restarted/ died three times... then NOTHING. Did the starter even engage to crank the engine after that third time? Did it crank but not fire, or did it fail to even crank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT CRANK, NO START
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT STARTED WHEN GOT IT HOME AFTER TOW.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I warned you about the questions... :) WHEN IT DIES... Does it shut off suddenly as if you just turned the key off?Or does it sputter and weaken before stalling?I know it's splitting hairs, but this will often tell me whether it's a fuel or electrical problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT JUST STALLS LIKE IF I TURN THE KEY OFF.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Dang, that sounds electronic and we aren't generating any useful trouble codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT TYPE OFF ELECTRONIC WE TALKING ABOUT HERE
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
I'd be suspicious of a cam or crank sensor at this point, but it may also be a harness short of some kind. Cam and crank sensors are two of your main inputs for engine operation, used for spark and injector timing. Loss of either one will kill the engine instantly, but usually will set a code. When no codes are present, the problem may be that one of the sensors is shorting internally, taking the 8v power feed that it shares with the OTHER sensor down. With neither sensor showing a signal, the PCM (engine controller) doesn't know that the engine is turning, so it doesn't set a code.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Let's take a look at some wiring first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
On the passenger side of the engine, near the top-center (and in the belt area) is where the cam sensor pigtail hangs out. It sometimes gets tangled up with the serpentine/ accessory belt and gets cut, shredding the wires in the pigtail. The loose copper sometimes shorts together, taking that all-important 8v circuit down and killing the engine. See if there might be some wiring within reach of the belt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK BE RIGHT BACK.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
It'll be right below the air cleaner duct that I mentioned earlier (and the IAT sensor)
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO, IT LOOK OK, I CHECK FOR PASS CODE AN NOTHING NO CODES FOUND. ITS RUNNING RIGTH NOW ITS BEEN ABOUT 3 MIN. STILL RUNNIG.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT JUST DIE, ABOUT 5 - 6 MIN. RUNNING
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Hey, do you keep track of your miles between tank fillups? If so, check it out for me if it's been a while since you stopped for gas.Fuel gauges are sometimes inaccurate on these models, showing 1/4 or even 1/2 when bone-dry. I'd expect the engine to sputter and lose power if it ran out of gas with the engine hot, but not when cold. That's because a hot engine will boil the gas that's sitting in the injector rail, temporarily propping system pressures up. Later, when it's cool, it'll shut off much quicker, almost like the key was turned off. Did it sputter at all that first time (or 3) when it stalled out? Is it restarting now that it just quit again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE GAS GAUGE IS IN THE SAME SPOT WHEN I LEFT YERTARDAY WHEN THE ISSUE STARTED. ONLY JUST BEFORE THE FIRST TIME IT STALL DID IT SPLURTER A LITTLE BIT. JUST THAT TIME , CANT TELL U ABOUT MILEAGE. NOT SURE WHE SHE PUT GAS IN IT LAST ITS GOT JUSTN OVER HALF A TANK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AND NO ITS NOT RESTARING.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.Oooooooooo. I do like it when they stay broken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOL, NOT ME.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Give it a good 10-15 seconds of continuous cranking while it's still dead. Then recheck codes. I know.. but it's so SO much easier to fix when the problem stops hiding!
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
I'm hoping the long crank sequence will inspire the self diagnostics to sort out which sensor is missing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SORRY NO CODES , JUST THAT P1193
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WOULD THE TROTTLE BODY CONTROL HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. JUST ASKING. SO IT ON LINE.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Did you notice whether that little sensor on the intake air duct was plugged in?I ask because it's an issue of whether the PCM is retaining memory after each stalling event or it's simply generating a new 1193 each time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I STILL HAVE IT UNPLUG.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE THE AIR COVER OFF.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't expect the throttle body to be involved because you can't keep it running even with throttle input. It might have some lift-throttle stalling issues related to the TB, but when it won't start at all.... not so much. OK, let's plug that sensor in.Hey, can you talk to the van with your scanner when it's dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I CAN ONLY ENTER THE VEHICLES IM WORKING ON. I CAN TALK TO IT BUT IT WONT LISEN TO ME. LOL . GOING TO PUT AIR COVER BACK ON.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Just plug the sensor in if that's possible.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
And leave the air cleaner off for now.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a digital voltmeter by chance? We might need to take some readings from the cam sensor (the one on the air cleaner side of the engine).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO , NO VOLTMETER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh by the way its not starting know. just thought I tell u that
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
OK.If the intake air temp sensor is plugged in, check to see if the code is still there.If it is, wait until the next time the engine stalls and then restarts and check again.I'd like to know if the PCM is losing memory when it dies out.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, look for a smaller black wire that connects to the battery clamp at the negative battery post. It's a fairly common source of trouble and if it becomes loose or corroded, it can cause stalling.This wire is below the nut that tightens the cable clamp if your van has it (not all do).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there no codes found. I check that. but will again and for that wire.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Oooo. Interesting.If you didn't erase the code, it might have disappeared when the engine died out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there 2 wires on the nag. cable, looks tight. no codes popping up now. and still wont star just cranks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really is that possible.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that the code erased itself? Yup. That's what happens when the PCM takes a nap, for whatever reason.So, just to be sure... the code is gone and you didn't erase it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have too go pick my daugtar up. it be a wile before I get back. how do I get back to you. even if it is tomorrow. yes I did erase it. but would it pop back on past codes reading.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Just post back here and I'll keep an eye out for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had codes of Evap on there and those are gong too.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
If you erase one code, you'll erase 'em all. Were those codes all that you ever saw? Some evap and intake air temp codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just got home from work. are u there. the evap code is for a low leak.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Wow... that didn't take long to re-set! Is the van in running condition right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test