Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2005 Durango 5.7L. When it rains or if I go through

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Durango 5.7L. When it rains or if I go through a carwash it runs very rough. It used to completely clear up when dry but it now seems to run a little rough when dry. I have replaced plug wires and plugs. Dealership can't seem to figure it
out. I have done some research and have found that it may be intake manifold gaskets allowing water into cylinders. If I pay to have them replaced should that make it run better when wet and dry?? I enquired at dealership about it and got a quote of nearly
$800 with about $400 being parts. From what I have seen online the gaskets are less than $100. What is your opinion?? Thanks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!. The exact thing that came to mind when I read your post was the possibility of leaking intake manifold seals, which I've seen on several occasions. Although made of a synthetic rubber that you wouldn't expect to compress or shrink, they certainly do and the most common complaint is that of random misfire during a rainstorm. It doesn't help that the wiper cowl tends to funnel water across the top of the engine, but you've possibly reached the point where just air leakage is enough to upset cylinder balance, so it would be a good time to look closer. All you need is a hand spray bottle and some water (I put some dish soap in the water to break down surface tension as well). Pop the hood and locate the point where the black plastic intake manifold bolts directly to the unpainted machined surfaces of the cylinder heads. With the engine running, adjust the spray to that of a concentrated stream, shooting it under low pressure into the port areas while monitoring idle quality. When you hit a sensitive spot, you may hear a hissing or whistle as the engine roughens and draws the water inside. Leaks will actually suck the water in so fast that it won't have much of a chance to puddle in the nearly-horizontal mounting between intake and cylinder head. I agree that the parts list must be expanded above what's needed for just an intake reseal and that may be just for "cushioning"... having some reserve funds on hand in case something unexpected is found or a plastic line snaps -- that sort of thing, but $300 extra seems a bit much. If the dealer gave you an itemized parts list, I might be able to shed a little light on the subject. But, yes, I do expect that you'll see some leakage at the intake seals. It remains to be seen if this is the whole problem, but it merits a water test to at least get a feel for how bad the leaks may be. Would you like to give it a try? Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give that a try... thanks
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
No problemo. Talk in a bit!Ed