Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Ram 1500: My truck just had the p1004 code was short runner

Customer Question

My truck just had the p1004 code was short runner valv control preformence error when read at dealer, sticker on inside driver door says manufactured 2-09 should I be covered
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** to JustAnswer!. Prrrrrrobably not, unless you have an extended service plan. The only items covered on the Federal 8/80 emission warranty are PCM and catalytic converter (unless you have CA emissions) and I'd expect your truck to have passed out of the basic 3/36 new vehicle warranty coverage at this point. This repair would likely involve replacement of the SRV and the addition of a longer wiring pigtail between the engine harness and the SRV unit. Intake manifold removal is necessary, regardless. I could run your VIN to check coverages if you like, but I'd need the last 8 digits of your VIN.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin-j520229
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry vin 9j520229
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Be right back.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
It appears you have 21 months left on the Federal 8/80 coverage (provided you're still below 80,000 miles), but all other warranties have expired. I won't be able to see an aftermarket plan on my screen for your Austin Tan Pearl Coat Ram, so that seems to be your best option... if you know of such a thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So would the p1004 code fall under federal 8/80?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
No, afraid not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, where do I go from here?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
P1004 is a "performance-based" code, one which is set when the engine controller doesn't recognize a normal amount of travel in the SRV when actuated. You may not even notice a change in performance if you don't run the engine up near redline. You'll just have a MIL illumination.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you'll be on the hook for repairs, I'm afraid. It involves intake manifold removal to access the SRV (it's impossible to remove otherwise), then extending the pigtail because it was made too short for service work.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
I'd expect the entire bill to approach $500.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I need to purchase the srv valve and new pigtail?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
If you're going to do the work yourself, yes. I'll get you the part numbers...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
68064996AA Wiring kit (connector and wire/ terminal pigtails)53022137AF SRV With the extra wire length, the factory wants the new pigtail to be well-insulated from abrasion, so you'll need to add several layers of electrical OR their special abrasion-resistant tape (68065586AA) which is some pretty good stuff.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
You probably should ask the Parts Department for new intake manifold seals at that point as well. They're designed to be reused, but have probably either compressed or swollen from exposure to oil by now. They may be too flat to seal again, or so bloated that they pop out of the recesses in the intake manifold. They're sold individually, so you'll need 8 seals.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
If there is any good news, it might be that you don't have to drain the cooling system, as is so common on most V-type engines. No coolant passes through the intake manifold on the Hemi engines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bonus! Thanks for your help and time!
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
You'll need a special tool (built by Lisle) to separate the fuel line supply fitting from your fuel injector rail, which can just stay where it is on the intake. Your line diameter is 3/8" and you should be able to find the tool at most auto parts stores for about $7. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward...just common hand tools.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it ok to drive for time being?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Totally. The SRV is a tuning valve, designed to get double-duty out of the runner lengths of your intake manifold. If it doesn't work, you'll miss out on a few ft-lbs of torque and horsepower from 4000 RPM and up. Otherwise, it's symptomless.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
By the way, you can clear your trouble code by doing a 60-second battery disconnect. Happy SRV-ing!Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I fix said problems correct?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, you might as well wait.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
This is just a reminder to write back if you have any questions or problems, as well as to rate the help I provided.
Thanks,
Ed