Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Charger SE: 2007 dodge charger, 2.7l v6, ETC light goes on

Customer Question

2007 dodge charger, 2.7l v6, ETC light goes on and off, at the moment light isn't on, but check engine light been doing the same. Used my Bosh OBDII scanner and the only code that shows up is P2181, cooilng system performance. Car wont start/crank. also says by the code ECM/MOD $00 on my bosh scanner. New engine, radiator, battery, battery sensor, ignition actuator pin, which I installed noticed housing loose, alternator, starter, and fuses.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The code P2181 is a cooling system performance code usually set due to a bad thermostat providing the cooling system is full of coolant and will not keep the engine from starting. If you can explain what it is exactly that you are having a problem with beside the lights coming on, I will try and help you get this resolved, are you saying it will not crank at all or are you saying it cranks over but will not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Etc light comes on and goes off intermittently, car won't crank at all. Have lights ac Windows etc. New engine, starter relay, fuses, alternator, ignition pin actuator, starter, spark plugs
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
A no crank condition can be cause by any of the following,Fuse #10Integrated Power Module (IPM)Powertrain Control Module (PCM)Starter RelayWireless Ignition Node (WIN)In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing, see the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20carnk%20Jul%2024.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Innova 3320 digital multimeter step 10 ground to starter relay pin 86 starts at 0.005 m ohms and goes to 61 k ohms
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
That would indicate you have high resistance in the circuit. The the wire you will need to trace to determine why.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 10 0.024 volts ac starts and keep rising over 100 mv dc
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The fuse should have battery voltage .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
92 mv dc on pin 38 of the c3 connector between pcm and ipm
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Did you ever get battery voltage at the #10 fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.9 mv
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay then the problem is likely at the fuse panel, the fus 10 need key on cranking voltage, is that how you are checking it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes having someone hold key to start while i put leads on both sides of fuse while multimeter is on 12v batt switch
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Power to the fuse come from the fuse panel, it sounds like the problem is with the panel.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
What type of problem are you actually having, are you only setting the code 2181?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Will the engine crank if you apply voltage to the fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the only code that's coming on the scanner. How to apply voltage needed to fuse.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Take a jumper from the battery positive post and place it on the fuse, the fuse 10 fees power to the starter relay on pin 85 and the other pin 30 gets its power from fuse 20 . See the wiring diagram in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open the link.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Starter%20diagram%20Jul%2027.pdf