Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge 1500 pickup: I have a 2001 dodge 1500 5.9 stops running

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge 1500 5.9 stops running when it feels like it. I had the crank shaft sensor replaced and still does the same. The fuel pump was replaced when I bought the truck. One thing I have noticed is when it stops running and turn the key off and turn it back on the fuel gauge stops functioning and so when I try to start the truck will not start/run until the fuel gauge starts to work again. What could be the problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! From what you have described it sounds like you may have an issue with the wiring to the fuel tank since you are loosing the fuel gage when the truck stops running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the ADS would have nothing to do with the gauge not working?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
do you mean the asd relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I spelled it wrong. I was reviewing my first question and notice I had forgotten to mention that the temp gauge acts the same way as the fuel gauge. When the engine shuts down they stop working.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
ok First thing i would do is check your ground cables to make sure they are clean both at the battery and the engine. Also the connectors at the dash on the drivers side under neath by the parking brake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will take a look and get back to you
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know if you need any more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do