Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge ram 1500 2wd: I have an interitent loss of synch on my

Customer Question

I have an interitent loss of synch on my 97 ram 1500 5.9
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
intermittent and I know this as I have a snapon mt2500 and it shows current sych lost after it spits and sputters. but then I can stop and start it and it is good for a while.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. How many miles are on the vehicle?Is it setting any codes? If so, post any codes that are setting here and we can go from there... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
multiple misfire when it happens but not consistent the engine is a two year old rebuilt with only about 25ooo miles and many upgrades on it this is just baffling me because only ocassional misfire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can only assume a reference voltage issue as I have replaced all sensors.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Usually this is caused by a stretched timing chain but since yours only has 25000 miles on the rebuild I am beginning to suspect a problem with the distributor adjustment. The cam sensor is located in the distributor and if it is misadjusted, it will throw off the sync signal and it can be intermittent also.I'm not sure but I think you scanner has the capability to set the "Sync Signal". This basically consists of indexing the cam and crank sync signal by adjusting the distributor. Keep in mind that this procedure CANNOT be performed with a Timing Light. Attempting to set the distributor with a timing light will throw the sync signal off every time...Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert