Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

When I park my Grand Dodge Caravan 2014 , the van keeps on

Customer Question

when I park my Grand Dodge Caravan 2014 , the van keeps on rolling
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I park on small hill and let go of the brake with the shift gear on P (park), the car rolls backwards and I can hear a rattle ing noise as if (a part like) spring is skipping rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If the Van continues to roll once placed in park then you likely have either a failing parking pawl in the transmission and or the shift cable is not adjusted correctly. I would start with making sure the transmission is actual going into park when the shifter is placed into park. Its very likely as new as the van is that you are still under warranty so you may want your dealer to check this for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday I placed the van on my drive way... Which is inclined. Allowed the minivan to Roll backwards. thus making the clicking noise.... after about 5 feet of rolling on PARK BACKWARDS. THE PARK GEAR ENGAGED... NOW IT STOPS ON PARK GOING FORWARD OR BACKWARDS.. IT AJUSTED ITSELF INTO GEAR..... WHY IS THAT ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
It can not adjust itself, if its rolling then it's got to be either the cable is out of adjustment or the parking pawl is not holding and that would cause the clicking noise you are hearing. I would stall have it checked to be sure its now holding as this could become a safety issue.