sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2500 diesal: I thought my cruise on ,off switch so I changed

Customer Question

I thought my cruise on ,off switch so I changed it out still want come on the light just flickers some times
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! There are many things that will cause cruise to not work. It could be a clockspring or wiring issue, the servo, lack of vacuum to the servo, the brake switch, a vehicle speed issue, or a seemingly unrelated problem. A trans, accelerator pedal position, MAP sensor, cam or crank sensor issue can disable cruise because RPM and speed can't be properly maintained. The first step in diagnosing the problem is checking for fault codes. Have you checked for fault codes in both the ECM and PCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it has taken so long I work off shore I have not check the codes yet that will be next Tim
Not a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no codes
You checked both the ECM and PCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used my Blue Driver scan tool 'I had it do a complete system scan and no codes.
You don't have a way of picking an individual module then, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats right
Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. What does it show when the mileage disappears?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK here what I got, PPCU,P1595,P0645,P0500,P0753,P1596,P1693,PDONE,PECU,P0177,P1693,PDONE,,,What does all this mean?
You have a few things going on. Does the trans always shift correctly, and does the speedometer drop out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
speedometer work fine, it seem to shift fine
Disconnect the battery to clear the codes, reconnect it and take the truck for a ride, remember to try the cruise control.
Then read codes again and see what resets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cleared codes went for a ride tried to turn cruise on ligh comes on for a short time then goes out. checked codes and got PCU P1595,P1693, ECU P1693
The P1693 is just informational, P1595 is for the cruise problem.
This code sets when there is an issue with the cruise servo control circuit. This could be a handful of things nd it will most likely take some electrical testing to determine what is going on.
The powertrain control module supplies power on the servo circuit, which runs through the brake switch and then to the servo. The issue could be with the wiring or the brake switch, the brake switch being more likely.
The problem could be the servo itself, or it could be a short or open on the control ire from the PCM to the servo. The brake switch will need to be tested, if ok then the wiring can be tested before condemning the servo. Any testing would have to be done at the time the problem is happening.
It's possible that battery leakage has damaged the servo, it's wiring, or has corroded the connector terminals. It would be a good idea to closely inspect the wiring and connector terminals.