Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

RAM: At speeds around 35 to 45 mph my 2000 dodge 3500 acts

Customer Question

At speeds around 35 to 45 mph my 2000 dodge 3500 acts as if it can not determine which gear to be in. Kinda feels like an old fashioned heavy spark plug miss in old gas vehicles.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is also evident when climbing hills in overdrive. Never slippage in transmission etc.. Like a hard miss but always comes around 35-45 mph. , jerking action. 2000 dodge 3500 diesel
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Does it feel like the transmission ha up shifted to soon and its in to high of a gear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it most commonly happens as you would think it's changing into overdrive but then if you are driving at speeds around 40 it just acts like it has a hard miss. One that you can physically feel as the engine doesn't fire one one cylinder and sometimes rapid repeats as in jerk, jerk, jerk. You remember old style gas engines and how they jerked at a hard miss-fire. Maybe giving away my age.......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You know, now that I think about it there could be some of the advanced shifting involved but how about at highway speeds in over drive when starting to climb a hill etc...? It also does it then. It's as if it can't make up it's mind about the gear it should be in cause even climbing hills it may need to downshift right?
Does this feel like a harsh torque converter engagement or disengagement. If so then lets try servicing the fluid and filter and add an additive called LUBEGARD. Give it about 50 miles to see if it improves. If it does change then its for sure the transmission with the issue. If there is no change, I suggest a power balance test to make sure one cylinder is not weak from an injector or pump issue. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris