George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

Plymouth: When replacing my mechanical timing belt tensioner

Customer Question

When replacing my mechanical timing belt tensioner on my 2001 plymouth neon, I noticed my new gates replacement doesn't have an insert (but the old one does) in the top left bolt hole which goes into block a little and into the plate that fastens to it. I have been looking at different brands and some have this insert and some do not? Why and do I need this insert.
Please help Thanks, Matt
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, That dowel is suppoed to be present so if your new tensioner does not have it and it is not stuck in the block you should remove and transfer the dowel to the new tensioner. It locates that corner so it is needed. Please let me know how I can help you with your question Thank you