Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Just replaced the starter in my 2004 dodge grand caravan anniv.

Customer Question

Just replaced the starter in my 2004 dodge grand caravan anniv. Edition 3.8 L and my van ran back home, started back up and ran fine to the hospital. Came out of hospital and it clicks like the starter has gone out again...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today..What is the voltage at the starter when the key is turned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It drops to 0. Replaced the starter again... does the same thing.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
It is most likely not the starter. Drops to 0? Is that on the small wire?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Big wire. Small wire (solenoid wire) doesn't have voltage until you hit the switch
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is a voltage drop, most times at the battery terminal, (between the cable and the terminal) and the small wire should get 12 volts (+,-) when the key is turned to start, (relay closes). .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sowhat else can it be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gettin 1.4 volts to the sylenoid wire when ignition is on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Putting 12 volts to the sylenoid wire didn't do anything either
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
The starter needs at least 12v on both wires to turn. If there is only 1.4 with the key in the start position that could just be the relay but the big wire will have to have 12v at all times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Big wire has 12 volts at all times and the relay checks out fine so it is definitely not a relay... I am a mechanic so I have done the normal stuff and the normal checking. Was hoping someone who works on this vehicle all the time could shed some light on this that maybe I hadn't thought about... working in a hospital parking lot isn't very convenient
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
It really is a matter of finding where the voltage drop is. It seems that no 2 situations are a like on them. If the "S" wire only has 1.4v and the relay is good the problem could be in the PDC, (where the relay is) if it's not a break in the wire to the starter. Fuse #9 good? Is there 12v on both sides of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuses are all good... wires are good... 12 volts on one side for sure.... just called a wrecker to towe it to the house. Any other suggestions besides wiring... A friend suggested ignition switch or the key.... are those possibilities?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Yes but if the relay is good it should handle the power to the starter. I could send you the tests for it to your email but there is a small fee for that. The starter control circuit has:Starter motor with integral solenoidStarter relayTransmission range sensor, or Park/Neutral Position switch with automatic transmissionsIgnition switchBatteryAll related wiring and connectionsPowertrain Control Module (PCM)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing on that list I didn't know about...bypassed the relay and it didn't fix it, got the PCM recently and gad everything re programmed so it should be fine too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Transmission range sensor is fine, battery is good, wires are good....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I replaced the starter initially it cranked up and ran perfectly... it cranked up after the*****home, cranked after being home 2 hours, and then didn't crank again in the parking lot after an hour visit with a patient
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is normally why there are tests, it eliminates the guess work. At this point it seems the only way that I can help you figure it out is to send the tests, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have the tests already.... like I said... this is obviously not a normal easy diagnostic and several friends said this was the way to go when you couldn't figure the problem out. Thanks for trying... it just isn't one of the above.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and please come again, anytime, thanks..Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..