sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge 3500 disel: My 1996 dodge 3500 doesn't turn over sometimes.

Customer Question

My 1996 dodge 3500 doesn't turn over sometimes. When it does that I try over and over again and it won't turn over. The batteries are good and I hear a click. I replaced the starter a while ago and it still does it. Then if I wait for a couple of hours it starts fine. I checked all connections and they are tight. Any other ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If you hear a single solid click from the engine compartment it's almost certainly coming from the starter. The starter relay would be a faint click that you woudln't really hear from inside the truck.
If the starter is clicking then it's being commanded to engage and there are only a few things it can be.
It could be a poor engine ground. If the battery terminals are clean and tight, the posts are clean and there isn't a connection issue between any of the cables and terminals then a poor engine ground would have to be a loose or corroded connection at the engine.
It could be a poor positive fee to the starter, whether it's the cable itself, connection at the starter or battery.
It could be the starter itself, and this would be most common. What will need to be done to know for sure is voltage drop test the positive cable to the starter and the engine ground at the time it won't crank. If they both check out ok then the problem is still with the starter.