Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2500: 1998 2500 diesel no alt charge

Customer Question

1998 2500 diesel no alt charge
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Are there any codes in the PCM? The small plug on back, does it have 12v and a ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

professional mechanic, 35 yr shop. no scanner communication, no 5v reference connector 2 pin 17. 12v to a 2, a 22. ground ok a31 a32. all fuses appear good.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Here is the wiring diagram:Will it start and run fine? Are you saying the PCM has 12v and ground but no 5v reference voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Runs fine. Have voltage regulator off of a 1990 Dodge cobbled on it so it charges. Have power to pin 6 teen on connector link. Head computer sent out and they said it was good. Don't know how it can be with supply voltages good and no reference volt,?,?excuse some of the Miss spelling auto Rider messing up on phone

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Is the PCM is only module with no communication? How about ECM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

12 valve . no ecm. man trans

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
WHen it's running at the alternator does the Dark Green have a good ground signal? Also does the White/Dark Blue have 12v?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no power at alt on w/dkbl or pin c3/25 half assed ground on dg and pin c2/10. if I put 12v to c2/10 it still wont charge, if I add a ground to c3/25 it wont charge have to do both. check eng lite comes on and then goes out, cluster is dead except for odometer that just flashes mileage, 2nd scanner wont communicate either. added additional ground to c1 31/32 and no difference.

sorry stated my test power and ground backwards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cant understand why it bench tested good and fails in vehicle test, do you have access to a better power and ground print than all data?