sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 dodge ram 2500 diesel power seats just randomly stopped

Customer Question

2000 dodge ram 2500 diesel power seats just randomly stopped working and when I check the fuse it is extremely hot. Tried replacing and nothing just gets really hot. What is wrong?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it will work randomly if I wait a while. Don't know what could be causing this. It seems so random to when it wants to work. I don't think the motor is shot but I don't know where to look in the wiring
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The seats are powered by a breaker. The reason the breaker is hot is because there is a short to ground on the circuit. When the breaker heats up due to high current draw it will open and then reset when it cools. The breaker is continually opening due to a short to ground.
The problem could be the switch or a short to ground on the circuit between the fuse box and switch.
What I would recommend is first unplugging the switch and see if the breaker stays cool. If so and the breaker heats with the switches at rest then the switch will need to be replaced.
If the breaker still heats with the switch unplugged then the issue is a short to ground on the red/light blue wire between the breaker and seat switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that doesnt work what else can I try? Where most likely should I start with the red/light blue wire to find the problem.
The most likely place for the short would be under the seat/carpet but it could be anywhere between the breaker and seat.