Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

When I start my vehicle I have to push on the gas pedal in

Customer Question

when I start my vehicle I have to push on the gas pedal in order to get it to start But I have replaced the integrated power module twice to fix the no start problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JacobTD replied 1 year ago.
Was the air cleaner recently checked? Id first inspect the large intake tube by aircleaner make sure its all together right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we have checked tube we've also check the starter or the alternator all the hoses check for vacuum leaks check for diagnostic codes
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Gooood afternoon, my name is ***** ***** clarity, I'm assuming that the starter always works and the engine cranks over during these no-starts. If it refuses to crank, please correct me.But if it does crank, but not fire, does it matter whether the engine is cold or hot for this to happen?Will it start easily if you attempt restart immediately after key-off? Talk in a bit,Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it refuses to crank until we pushed the gas pedal after a few attempts to start the vehicle And then your Rpm go through the roof
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And that's why Chrysler has replaced the integrated power module twice and it is still not fixed we still have trouble sometimes no matter if it's hot or cold car could be sitting for a couple hours and not want to start or it could be a few minutes and not want to start there's no rhyme or reason for the problem
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'm still not sure (for sure) if the starter actually engages during those episodes. It's a matter of language... some people have different definitions for the term cranking, which comes from the old days of Model T cars, when you had to insert a crank handle into the front of the engine to turn it over. This action is what the starter does, it cranks the engine.Does yours always crank, using this definition (it makes all the difference in where we look).
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be a pain...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It eventually will crack over after a few tries
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. So it's definitely not a "long-crank" condition (that is, the engine spins but doesn't fire as soon as it should), which is what I'd suspected you had. Clearly a big difference and I now understand why the TIPM has been the focus to this point -- pressing the accelerator probably had no effect on starting, but it does explain the engine roar once it does crank and fire. Have you tried shifting into neutral to see if it immediately restores cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an automatic transmission there's no way to shift out of park with the engine running
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
I believe you can shift with the key on and brake pressed. Give it a try. If it only prohibits you from shifting from park when the no-crank issue pops up, it may be because the ignition switch (ironically called the WIN) may not be working. It needs to physically power a circuit that allows the brake interlock to work and by extension, it would likely also be your no-start cause. Give the shifting thing a try whether the engine cooperates or not. Then, test it again in the opposite state of working to see if anything changed. Does that make sense? Basically, I want you to verify my opinion that the van CAN be shifted out of park with the key on and brake pressed. If it works when the engine is capable of starting, check it again at the next opportunity when it's not cooperative. I think you may have a bad WIN, but we need to catch it in the act. If you have extra keys for the van, have them on hand as well. Chances are pretty slim that you have two working ignition keys taking a nap at the same time. Caravan is pretty good at sniffing out bad keys, sending a "BAD KEY" prompt to the message center/ odometer in the instrument cluster, so if you haven't seen one of THOSE, it's probably not a key problem. But still gather up the keys just in case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do there's procedure is there a chance that the vehicle can start rolling even with the key in the on position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the problem also happens sometimes if we leave the radio on and or air conditioner on and then turn the vehicle off without turning the system off before we turn the car off I don't know if this will help you any
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Rolling? Oh, most definitely and that's a good point. Have your park brake on and be actively pressing the service brake as you perform the maneuver. Don't attempt it on steeply sloped surfaces; pretty much stick to flat ground for this.
Given the intermittent nature of your starting problem, I can't make a direct connection between accessories being left on at the time of key-off, nor the apparent improvement in starting if the accelerator is pushed. At this point I'd be more inclined to think of these variables as simple coincidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the car on your able to shift to neutral
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Very good, so we can use that tactic the next time it acts up. If either the shifter will not let you shift to neutral, or if the engine immediately starts, it will tell us something about the cause of your problem. Carry on!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But when I go to start the car and I cannot shift into any gear I can only shift gears on the cars in on position
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Yep, that's right. Begin trying to start in Park, then if it acts up, shift to Neutral and try again. If it won't allow the shift to neutral (key ON, brake pressed), it suggests a problem with the WIN module, which is your ignition switch. And if it does shift and it cranks and starts immediately, we likely have issues with the transmission range sensor (TRS), which is the same as an old "neutral safety switch", something to prevent starting in any gear except P or N. You're using a different set of electrical contacts for TRS action when you shift to N.