sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi: In the morning when I first turn on my

Customer Question

In the morning when I first turn on my truck it cranks for 5 seconds before starting and when it finally starts the engine light flashes and it acts as if it were in limp mode. If I run it for a few minutes then turn it off, then back on, it starts normally and runs well but the engine light stays on. If I leave it alone for more than 4 hours it happens again. It also shuts off while it's idling and misfires sometimes when running. The code is for random misfires caused by crankshaft sensor so I changed it 3 times with parts from the dealer as well as the camshaft sensor and throttle sensor but the crankshaft code still comes up. I don't know if it's the same issue since it happened a month before this but if it's really hot outside it will also go into limp mode.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JacobTD replied 1 year ago.
You are so close! Its either faulty wiring near plug, ecu, or ecu main power relay. Locate this relay trust me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the crankshaft and camshaft sensors again before you replied. This timed I replaced them myself to rule it out for sure. Now it cranks for about 5 seconds before starting every time. The code is know for the camshaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it still be faulty wiring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This site's a joke it's just a waste of money! I can't believe I paid $23 for an answer I could've gotten at Autozone!
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! If it's setting a cam sensor code then there is an issue with the sensor, it's connection or wiring or possibly a cam timing issue. Incorrect cam timing will sometimes set a cam sensor code but should set a P0016. Incorrect cam timing isn't common on these. If it's setting a cam sensor code then most likely you have a wiring or connection issue if you're using Mopar sensors. Aftermarket cam and crank sensors are expected to cause repeat issues but I see that you've used Mopar at least for the crank sensor. Where did the cam sensor come from?What P codes are setting now?Do you have a scan tool with the capability to do a cam/crank relearn?