Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Ram 3500 larimer: I have a 2006 ram 3500 5.9L cummins I resently

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ram 3500 5.9L cummins I resently removed the engine to rebuild put it back in started it runs but alternater gets hot in seconds with out the wire connected to battery and if you touch battery with wire it sparks like its aground wire
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** to JustAnswer!. Don't ask me how... but it appears your new alternator has a shorted diode, which effectively does turn the output stud into a ground circuit. Current should flow only one way and that would be from the stud to the battery. If it flows backward, you'll get the sort of symptom you're having. And just to pour salt on your wound, the heating you're having with only the field control connected is typical of a shorted diode heat sink problem. The alternator's actually generating power with the engine running, but it's being shunted directly to ground internally through the diode(s). That sucker heats up in a hurry. If there's any good news about your problem, it's that the ECM is controlling the alternator field just fine. If the alternator didn't heat up like you've described, I'd worry that there might be a charge control issue, but that appears to be just fine. I'm afraid you'll need a new alternator... just one more thing, you know? Be sure to write if you have any questions or problems and I'll be glad to help. Take care,Ed