sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Ram: My battery has been dying erratically and my comp[uter

Customer Question

My battery has been dying erratically and my comp[uter readout says fault code #32 which is the EGR solenoid wiring
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have fixed a few other electric issues that were obvious but still truck is (now with increasing frequency) losing all electric power suddenly while driving. have suspected a short somewhere for a while...this seems like what the error code points to...i just need to know where to look and what to replace...cant find a wiring diagram for the egr online...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today i removed and cleaned the ground connections to the driver side battery (the one connected to the starter i think?) both where it connects to the frame and where it connects with a larger bolt to the engine block....also cleaned the negative terminal on the battery...positive looked fine but i will clean that too tomorrow...just ran out of light
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm not certain that the battery is actually dying while driving. If it were a battery/charging issue then the battery light would be on, the gauge would show it discharging and you'd slowly lose power until it died. If you're abruptly losing power to everything then it's going to be a cable or connection issue. The problem could be at the battery, chassis grounds, or power distribution center. Has the problem happened again after cleaning the connections?
Does your truck actually have an EGR valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my truck does not have an egr I don't think because the diagram I got from auto zone says the egrs are on gas vehicles only and mine is a diesel. I have cleaned the negative battery connections on the battery and to the frame and engine block as I mentioned before. I am going to jump start it today and drive it in to town and see if it holds a charge. Just confused why it is giving me that error code 32 which online says means a short in the egr system and to check that fir loose wires etc. That seemed right because,like I thought and you said, it seems like a short. Maybe it means something different in a diesel? Or do some diesels have egr?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sort it took me a few days to get back...I have been super busy. Thanks for your help thus far.
Is it California emissions?