Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 2011 Mercedes sprinter stalls. Here is an example of how

Customer Question

2011 Mercedes Sprinter Stalling - help needed
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm - apparently my question did not make it into the system. Here is the question.My 2011 Mercedes sprinter stalls. Here is an example of how it stalls:I just went out and started the sprinter and let it idle for about 30 mins. I did this on purpose so I could see if it still stalled when warm. After 30 minutes I went out and revved the engine a few times then let my foot off the accelerator. After I left my foot of the accelerator the engineRPMS dropped and the sprinter stalled.I then restarted the sprinter and revved the engine. This time however I did not let my foot off the peddle dramatically. Instead I slowly let up on the accelerator until the engine hit abotu 7500 RPM's at which point I left my foot off completely. The engine did not stall.I did this several times and could keep the engine from stalling so long as I gently decreased acceleration.If I revved the engine and then let my foot off the accelerator in a dramatic fashion the engine stalled every time.When the engine is running it sounds great and does not appear to have any problems. Also I can usually start it up and let it idle forever without it stalling and I can drive on the highway without any problems. Its only when I hit the gas and let go at an intersection type of situation and then it dies. If I rev on the highway and let it go there is usually no problem.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! How many miles are on the truck? Have you replaced anything trying to fix this issue? Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are a little over 200k on the truck. It has been to the Mercedes dealer twice this year for the problem and they have done all kinds of things (roughly 4k worth) . They have replaced...
High-pressure pump
varios lines, hoses,fuel filter, o-rings, fuel distributor and
In-tank fuel pump.
The have drained the fuel and checked the tank for contamination.What I am wondering about is what controls how the car idles after the engine is revved? If I control the rate of descent in rpm's then I can prevent the car from stalling. When at a standstill or moving very slowly If I simply rev the engine and then let take my foot off of the gas the rpm's drop quickly and the engine stalls. If I am traveling at a higher rate of speed then reving the engine has no effect because the rpm's stay high. Same thing is I downshift which keeps the rpms a bit higher. So again - if I control the rate of descent in rpms then I have no problem . I can bring the rpms down to around 650 and it idles just fine.thanks
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
the only thing that controls the engine rpms on that is the engine controller. Do you know if they did anything with the egr valve?