sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Durango: I was on the freeway, and my check gages light came

Customer Question

I was on the freeway, and my check gages light came on and my volt meter was all the way to 18. Shut car off, wouldn't start as if it had a dead battery. Had no power to anything, wouldnt even click when i tried to start. Tried to jump start, could only get it to turn over once. Took battery to parts store, they say it's good.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if you have a cable or connection issue. The voltmeter most likely climbed because charging voltage was not making it to the battery. The vehicle acting like the battery is dead now is most likely happening because of a poor connection to either the positive or negative side of the battery.
The most likely cause for this i a cable or connection issue. I'm assuming you've ensured the battery connections are clean and tight. One thing you can do is turn the headlamps on and wiggle test the battery cables and connections, the engine and chassis grounds and power distribution center connections. If the lamps flicker when moving a certain area then you've found a connection problem.
If nothing is found that way then electrical testing will need to be done. Voltage drop testing the cables would be a good first step.