Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

RAM 1500: 2010 Ram 1500 power steering leak at bottom of reservoir.

Customer Question

2010 Ram 1500 power steering leak at bottom of reservoir. Leaks only when engine is running. Appears that line is loose but I can't get to it. Dealer wants $1200 to replace all.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.That is crazy...the power steering pump and the pressure hose ,both from the dealer are less then 400 dollars and it is about 1.5 hours to replace both.I would take a good look to find out if the fluid is coming from the pump front seal or if it is coming from the pressure line or also from the o'ring on the reservoir .(in this case it should leak all the time)If you can not fix it yourself I would try an independent shop ,they charge less for labor and in the worst case that they don't find after market parts ,the dealer have them for ...With 4.7 and 3.7 engine the pump is 285 dollars and the pressure line is less 50.00With 5.7 engine ,the pump is 337.00 and the hose is also under 50.00 (48.00 dollars) Good luck.Let me know.Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More specs;
2010 Dodge Laramie Edition with 5.7 liter engine. 59950 miles.The leak is coming from a loose hose. I can't get a wrench on the nut that goes into the res. I can get to the nut on the hose and that's how I know the nut on the bottom of the res is loose.The dealers work sheet shows "customer refused to replace with a new style pump and hoses".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying I need to replace everything?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,sorry for the wait .
No ,I did not say to replace everything .
I would take a better look to see where exactly is the oil coming from and then replace the part. I am not aware of any recall or up dated parts beside a new power steering cap in some models .
The only hose that goes to the reservoir is the return hose with a clamp, you do have the pressure line going to the steering pump(the big nut)and the 5/8 nut on the pressure hose ,this hose has also a o'ring that seals the hose to the pump.
Any of this parts is available after market at less then the dealer wants to charge you , the pump does not come with the reservoir.
Good luck.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let me start over. sorry. The leak is at the pressure hose from the bottom of the pump. Not the res. I plan on replacing the res cap and the O-ring on that hose. Sound reasonable? Do you happen to know the size of the large nut on the pump?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there...yes ,you can replace the o'ring on the pressure hose ,definitely the cheaper thing to try first.
I believe the large nut is 1 inch wrench as the older models.
Let me know.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's taking a while to get to it. I'm looking for a 1" open-end 3/8th drive ratchet to get to the nut on the bottom of the pump.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Does the big nut turn when trying to remove the pressure line ?
You can just remove the line and then use a socket on the big nut.
Good luck.
Let me know.
Thank you.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there , I just finish replacing a pump on a 09 hemi and the big nut is 21mm and the line 5/8 .
You can use a regular 21mm from any store (Sears) it will fit if you use it towards the back of the engine.(I had the vehicle on the lift but it looks like that can be done from bottom or through the wheel well.
Good luck.
Let me know.
Thank you