Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Dodge Ram 1500 6cyl.: Truck runs great until after about 20

Customer Question

Truck runs great until after about 20 miles then sounds like its starving for gas. Let it cool down and it will for a few more miles then same thing. Fuel pump or Full pump relay?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hello,sorry for the delay.
This has the classic symptoms of a bad fuel pump. The pump is just a small electric motor inside the gas tank and over time they wear out. What happens is once they get hot (from spinning to make pressure)they will start to slow down and cant provide the high pressure needed for the fuel injection system. Once it cools down and can spin up to speed it will work until it gets hot again. Once again, it has all the symptoms of a failing pump but if you want to test it to confirm, you will need to get a fuel pressure gauge and carry it with you and when it acts up take a pressure reading from the test port on the fuel rail and it has to have 40 PSI and i bet it doesnt.
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
Larry