MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

ONE CODE COMES UP NOW SERIAL LINK/EXTERNAL FALUIRE MY 2001

Customer Question

ONE CODE COMES UP NOW SERIAL LINK/EXTERNAL FALUIRE MY 2001 PT CRUISER
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!Is it the P0600? or could you provide me with the trouble code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WON'T start red light comes on then goes off then comes right back on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code p01
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
p01 isn't a full trouble code. Could you please recheck and supply the trouble code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WON'T start red light comes on then goes off then comes right back on nopt seeing no comes but it says ACM messages not received and SBEC messages not rececved
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Can you communicate with the instrument cluster(MIC), PCM, and TCM? Can you access all three?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes but the tcm had a faliure code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is SKIM/SKREEMY TPM???? SAYING PCM STATUS / FALUIRE
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
That is the security module. If it is saying pcm status/failure means the skim/skreem module can't communicate with the PCM. Being you can communicate with the PCM from the scan tool would indicate that the PCM should be fine. There is either a wiring problem between the SKIM module and the PCM or the SKIM module itself has gone bad. Check for any wiring problems around the steering column. The SKIM module mounts to the key cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can i check next reads both keys are good
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
You may have to get the exact trouble code from the Chrysler scan tool in order for me to better understand the full situation. There are factory specific codes that most scan tools will not display. With the information you have provided me the best I can tell is the SKIM and PCM aren't communicating. With the exact code I could better tell which side is failing. Otherwise all I can suggest is checking the wiring up the steering column. If all ok then replace the SKIM module with a NEW one and program it. Then if you were to still have problems the PCM would be at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the scan tool no codes come up jst an explaination checking now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to check SKIM module
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
If you have the DRBIII scan tool then one of the modules should have a trouble codes to provide more information.To check the SKIM all you can basically do is access it with scan tool. Ensure it is reading the keys. Then go to PCM and see whether or not the PCM is receiving the "ok to start" signal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only thing comming up is pcm status failure
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/cap90murwmfjlj4/PCM_STATUS_FAILURE.pdfI couldn't find this earlier. Had to change the way I was searching for it. Please look over this information. Perform the tests described and let me know what you find.Thank you!
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
That was supposed to be a link. For some reason it won't create a link. Please copy and paste the address in a new window.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay doing test now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are using Autel Maxidas DS708
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
It should suffice as long as you can clear codes from the SKIM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it does clear them
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
That's good. Let me know what you find following the diagnostic tree. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't unstand why it's not starting we did timming belt water pump put it back together it started ran 10 mins....went back to start then turn over started for min then now nothing........did test serail exturnal failure
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
It is most likely just a coincidence. What are your results from step 3 in diag tree?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SERIAL LINK EXTERNAL FAULT pcm status failure
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
If it still shows that after performing the test in step 3 then we would have to go with the diag tree results which is to replace the PCM. For some reason the PCM isn't properly communicating with the SKIM to allow the engine to start. So at this point we would have to replace the PCM. That should resolve the issue. It's is strange that it just happened but I have seen stranger things...Replace and program the PCM to resolve this issue. You will need the SKIM code I provided earlier to program the PCM. Please let me know if you need more help or information. Thank you!